Friday, March 22, 2013

I Don't Get Paid to Be Sarcastic...


I’m a slow learner. BUT, after coming across a particular belief/mentality 100’s of times in my life, I have finally been able to apply its wisdom to my musical career. The maxim is: “you’re only a REAL musician if you get paid to do it full-time.” Now, of course, people don't usually come right out and say it, but I've noticed the little imp hiding behind their words, peeking out to see if I'm listening.

In fact, that phrase is SO meaningful to me now, that I would like to apply it to other aspects of life:  

Parents don’t get paid to parent, so all parents should surrender their kids to the state, or at least to trained, paid caregivers.

If you can’t make a living as a cook, you should only eat out. Any meal cooked by someone who doesn’t cook full-time is inedible.  

If no one pays you to dance, at wedding receptions, you better keep your butt glued to a chair.

If you’re not employed as a full-time driver, you should only take limos or public transit to work.

My favorite application: No one gives me a DIME to wash dishes, so I shan't waste one more moment of my life washing them.

It makes so much sense doesn’t it??? Apply it to almost anything. “I don’t get paid to ______, so should I continue to ______?”

:)


Incidentally, have you noticed we have a couple of big-deal shows coming up in April? April 12th, we'll be at Hebe Music in Mt. Holly, and April 13th, Matt and I will be doing an unplugged songwriter show at World Cafe Live in Wilmington. (Msg me about tickets for that one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment