Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012: The Year We Did Cool Stuff

I have one resolution for 2013: I would like to appreciate the positive things around me. You see, I am somewhat of a “negative Nancy...” in fact, that was the original name of Adams Wilson until I found a bunch of other bands on MySpace with the same name. So, let’s take a very quick look back at 2012:**

1) We got to go to upstate NY in the dead of Winter. Good God was it cold. We saw all the zany sights Buffalo has to offer, like buildings, dive bars, and stoplights and things. It was crazy... We also happened to record five songs with one of the Goo Goo Dolls before we left. I happen to think that the EP we made (Lies Worth Telling) is the best thing we have done in the 6 or 7 years I’ve invested into this music thing.

2) We reduced our fan base by converting two fans into band members. In the Spring, we added a new bass player by the name of Brian Scorben. He is just a heck of a swell guy, and he is the perfect fit for our group in that he loves both the Counting Crows (which means he and I have things to geek out about) and Rush, which means he and Matt have things to geek out about. I think we can ALL agree, however, that geeking out about Rush is far more geeky than geeking out about Counting Crows.

2a) Last year this time, Matt handed a CD to a random lady named Andrea. She loved the CD and asked us what the band was doing to promote our career. Being musicians, we of course shrugged and said, “huh?” Since then, Andrea’s been helping us get our music out into the world. Andrea, while not technically a band member, has been an inextricable part of the band experience over the past year.

2a-1) I lost a bet to Andrea. She tried to argue that we should do a cover of Paul McCartney’s “Let Me Roll It,” and that if we did, XPN would probably play it. I said we didn’t have a prayer of getting on there, because, as I said, I’m just a negative Nancy. Anyways, in June, I had to hand Andrea a case of “7 Deadly Zins” (her favorite wine), because dang if she wasn’t right. Thank you to Helen Leicht for playing both our cover, and our original song, “Take it or Leave it.”

3) The last and most important thing: we gained new fans. At every show we played this year, we had people come up to us and say that someone had given them one of our CDs. When they played it they loved it and knew they had to come to a show. I want to thank all of you who have been our “missionaries” and ask that you’ll keep up the good work. We NEED your support, and we are incredibly grateful for it. THANK YOU.

Adams


**These are, of course, in no particular order, and I should add that I’ve spent a number of hours paralyzed at the keyboard, hoping that I don’t miss anything or forget someone.

1 comment: